What Is My Incentive?
Join a carpool to go further, together. Not only does sharing a ride help you reduce emissions, carpooling can help you reduce your commute costs! You can receive a $240 taxable carpool incentive once every 6 months for carpooling to work at least 60 days within each 6 month reporting period. This incentive is paid out twice a year if you meet all requirements. That's up to $480 a year!
Please note, however, that due to IRS regulations, you will not be able to combine this incentive with the Pre-Tax Payroll Transportation Benefit.
What is a carpool? For the purposes of this program, a carpool is defined as at least one benefits-eligible County of Marin employee who travels to/from a County office or facility with at least one other person whose work location is also within the County of Marin. The County of Marin employee's commute must end at a County office or facility.
Where can I find a carpool? Log onto your 511 RideMatch Service and search for other County and non-County carpoolers near you who match your schedule.
Eligibility & Requirements
Benefits-eligible employees are eligible to receive the carpool incentive, $240/6 month reporting period. In order to receive the carpool incentive, each participant is required to track their trips using a carpool to and from their County of Marin workplace in the 511 Trip Diary. The 511 Trip Diary is a service provided in conjunction with the 511 RideMatch Service. Carpoolers must enter a minimum of 60 days of carpooling within each 6 month reporting period into the 511 Trip Diary. Program participation and incentive eligibility is tracked through the 511 Trip Diary. The RideGreen Team will review your Trip Diary prior to reimbursement approval and disbursement.
To be enrolled in the Carpool Incentive Program, create your Commute Profile and use your Trip Diary at the 511 RideMatch Service.
For instructions on how to create a 511 account and how to log your carpool trips in the 511 Trip Diary, refer to the 511 Trip Diary instructions.
How Does This Carpool Incentive Program Channel Work?
Reimbursements will be added to the next available paycheck and disbursed following approval at the end of each 6 month reporting period.
- Carpool Incentive Disbursement 1 — This reimbursement will be paid out in May to reflect the reporting period between November 1 - April 30.
- Carpool Incentive Disbursement 2 — This reimbursement will be paid out in November to reflect the reporting period between May 1 - Oct 31.
The Carpool Incentive Process
- Enter your carpool trips on your 511 Trip Diary regularly throughout each 6 month reporting period. In order to be eligible for the incentive, you are required to carpool at least 60 days within the 6 month reporting period.
- At the end of each 6 month reporting period, the RideGreen Team reviews your 511 Trip Diary for completeness.
- You receive an email notification of your eligibility to receive the carpool incentive.
- The RideGreen Team then sends the list of eligible participants to Payroll in the Department of Finance for processing.
- Finally, the carpool incentive is added to the next available paycheck following approval at the end of the 6 month reporting period.
Don't forget, carpoolers can request preferred parking at the Civic Center and the Health and Wellness Center!
For more information, visit the RideGreen FAQs.
Return to the RideGreen page